Every year, we ring in the new year with resolutions and mantras that revolve around the “new year, new me” attitude. People attach this mantra to everything in an effort to improve upon their lives. I, for one, am guilty of this as well but…
I don’t see it as a bad thing if I fail.
How can we ever fail at something when we actively decide to do something other than what we have set out to do?
I want to blog more…but life gets in the way.
I want to eat healthier…but junk food is easier (and cheaper) to cram into my mouth.
I want to be spontaneous…but sometimes planning ahead is the right way to go.
The concept of “new year, new me” doesn’t mean that we have to completely makeover or change ourselves. It also doesn’t mean that we have to feel like failures if we alter our goals throughout the year! That’s what living your every day life is about: making your own decisions.
We all have the best intentions to start the year off fresh, and that is great but it doesn’t need to be the be all and end all of life!
It’s great to have goals, but don’t be afraid to change them!
Don’t get me wrong, I am not hating on this phrase or saying that we shouldn’t embrace it. Quite the contrary actually, I love this phrase and am making it my mantra because it is positive and inspiring. However, I am not taking it at face value. I am me, and I am not going to change.
What I am going to do is set realistic goals for myself that I can manage and not be afraid to alter should I need to. That’s what the new year is all about, right? A fresh start! A chance to try new things! An opportunity to feel good about yourself.
It is not a time to feel like you are going to fail – because we can’t really call it failure if we actively decide to do something other than what we have set out to do.
So here are my totally realistic and changeable goals for Y2017:
1. Have a super awesome, cute brunch in the city with friends.
2. Live a happier, healthier and fuller life on a daily basis.
3. Write about what I want to write about and makes me feel stellar.
4. Make new friends and embrace the ones I have had for years.
5. Get active in a fun way.
6. Travel to at least one new, cool place that I have always wanted to go to.
7. Make the most amazing memories and photograph it all.
8. Give as many smiles away a day as I want to (at least one).
9. Remember my fortune and be thankful for what I have each and every day of my life.
10. Give back to those who need it more than I do.
There you have it! It didn’t take me long, but I have come up with ten, amazing goals for Y2017 that I can carry throughout the year. Each and every one of those goals are realistic and completely changeable, should something get in the way of doing them. Yes, they are pretty general…but that is what makes them realistic.
Life gets in the way sometimes.This idea goes hand in hand with everything in moderation.