Monogram 101: Etiquette Breakdown

Monograms are one of the preppy staples of a prepster’s being. You can monogram anything and everything, and why wouldn’t you? In keeping with Wednesday’s theme, I am going to give you the lowdown on etiquette of monogramming. Wait, what? What etiquette? The initial/monogram etiquette. There is a certain ordering of initials that one should follow when monogramming anything. Traditionally, the initials should be placed in this order: first initial, last initial, middle initial. So, Anna Beth Collins would be monogrammed as: monogram_example

This is the most common form of monogramming, but what about those who have four initials? Well, there aren’t any rules for four initial monograms (at least, none that I have heard of). The way I like to do it is place my two initials in the center, making them bigger than the two initials on the end. So, in my case, it would be: first initial, middle initial, second middle initial, last initial. Therefore, it would look like this:

SEHS_Aqua_Filled

I am on the hunt for monogram retailers who monogram clothing with four initials. Marley Lilly does offer this service, but shipping to Canada is significantly pricier than if you were to order within the U.S. What I have gotten into the habit of doing recently, is making monogram stickers with my own personal monogram. I haven’t tried making them yet, but I will certainly post a tutorial once I do (hopefully it works!!). I want to try and monogram as much as I can (just to show off this cute little accessory).

It’s a trend that I have definitely started to follow and I am all in! Let me know in the comments below if and what you have monogrammed so far! Happy Friday!

Signiture

8 Comments

1. June 27, 2015 / 2:50 pm

I love monograms and would love to do them myself..I hope to see your tutorial when you are able!

• June 27, 2015 / 10:12 pm

Monograms definitely seem to be all the rage right now! Should be in the next couple of weeks, so make sure you check back! 🙂

• June 30, 2015 / 5:03 am

Thank you for stopping by! I hope to get the sticker tutorial up within the month! It is definitely something that I am super in to right now so keep checking back or join my mailing list for updates 🙂

2. June 27, 2015 / 10:19 pm

This is really helpful as I am starting a new website and would love to use some nice sign for my logo. Thank you for writing this. 🙂

3. June 27, 2015 / 11:49 pm

I love monograms and also getting things personalized. All my kids have pretty unique names, so I like to celebrate that…and my name too. Thanks for the tips!

• June 30, 2015 / 5:02 am

Monograms are such a pretty and personal way to express yourself! I would love to have most of my clothing monogrammed!

4. June 28, 2015 / 4:18 am

I’ve recently become a fan of mammogram when I first purchased my Lily Pulitzer Planner. I’d love to learn how to do it. 🙂

• June 30, 2015 / 5:01 am

Monograms are literally my favourite accessory! Stay tuned – I will be doing more monogram posts in the future so you can learn all about them 🙂